Cambodia Provincial EIA Training
Siem Reap, Cambodia 16 to 18 May 2016
Since 2005, responsibility for dealing with the environmental review of projects less than $2million has been delegated to Cambodia’s Provincial offices.
However, these offices often only consist of a small number of staff, whose qualifications and skills may not necessarily cover all of the development sectors. It also appears that there has not been much in the way of donor support for capacity building at the Provincial Environment Office level.
Given that there is growing development pressure in Cambodian Provinces, and that the Department of EIA in Phnom Penh is tasked with extensive environmental review work, it makes sense to boost the capacity of provincial EIA officers.
The aim of this 3-day training workshop is to enable provincial EIA officials to be better positioned to manage environmental safeguards procedures for development that is “close to home.” At the end of the workshop, it is expected that the 60 trainees will be able to:
- Understand where monitoring and compliance fits within the overall EIA process.
- Understand current state-of-the-art international approaches to EIA implementation and follow-up.
- Understand how Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) should be structured.
- Direct proponents on how to design Environmental Management Plans (EMPs);
- Direct proponents on how to design the monitoring component of EMPs.
- Design terms of reference for EMPs.
- Understand the linkage between a proponent terms of reference - the proponent’s impact assessment documents - and EMPs.
- Understand the difference between surveillance/supervision, monitoring, auditing, and evaluation.
- Develop templates that can be applied to EMP review.
- Review a sample of real EMPs in a range of industry sectors.
- Undertake effective site visits.
- Write monitoring and compliance reports.
The training is funded by the GMS Core Environment Program and is being organized with the support of Cambodia’s Ministry of Environment.
The full concept note and training agenda can be downloaded below.
|EIA Provincial Training Cambodia.pdf||154 KB||15-05-2016|
Back to Online Library